If you hold a driving licence issued outside of Great Britain (that is England, Scotland and Wales) then you can use the tool on the Government website to check whether you can use it to drive in the UK.  You may be allowed to do so for a limited period of time only.

You must ensure that you have insurance and Road Tax.

More information on driving in the UK can be found here.

In addition to having current valid road tax, insurance and a driving licence, you must:

  • drive on the left-hand side of the road and overtake on the right-hand side;
  • wear a crash-helmet if you are riding a motor cycle or a moped;
  • wear a seat belt if you are the driver or front seat passengers; rear seat passengers must wear seat belts where they are fitted;
  • not drive whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • observe speed limits: 30 or 40 mph (miles per hour) in built-up areas but some zones in towns and cities have lower limits, 70 mph on motorways and 60 mph on all other roads unless a different limit is displayed (e.g. 50);
  • observe the minimum age requirements. Generally, these are 17 years for cars and motorcycles, 18 years for medium sized vehicles.

Further information about what you can drive and your legal obligations as a driver can be found on the DVLA and DVANI websites.

Essential reading for anyone planning to drive in the UK is The Highway Code, both in terms of road safety and because many of its rules are in fact legal requirements. The Highway Code costs around £2.50 from most bookshops.  The Know your traffic signs guide is also essential reading if you are not familiar with the meaning of UK road signs.